so i like the outdoors…

18 03 2008

So does the real world exist anymore? This is one reason why I don’t like video games. It is as if interactions between people are slowly decreasing. Some video game addicts never leave their couch because they have all the human interaction they need through video games. Yes, I do admit the technology and realistic of video games is incredible; but why can’t people http://portageparkdistrict.org just enjoy each other’s company? Lucasfilm’s habitat reminds me of Second Life with the use of Avatars, I have never participated in Second Life nor do I really have a desire to. Like I have said in previous posts, kids now-a-days are never seen outside playing and some have social issues because of the lack of interaction. McLuhan’s addictiveness to T.V. definitely applies to the addictiveness of video games.  What will happen when the computer crashes or the gaming system breaks? All hell would break lose I’m guessing. Maybe it is because I’m obsessed with the outdoors and simple things, but video games, avatars and habitats like Lucasfilms seem useless to me. Technology is cool and impressive but when does it stop? Programs like the Wii, or dance dance revolution are viagra online pfizer as close to exercise these gamer addicts get…which is sad I my opinion.

Actions

Informations

7 responses to “so i like the outdoors…”

18 03 2008
» so i like the outdoors… Intro to New Media Studies, Spring 2008 (22:46:30) :

[…] Original post by sfinn2id […]

19 03 2008
Gardner (06:58:16) :

As you point out in your previous post, college itself is an indoor, complex activity (for the most part), and from my own experience I know that plenty of working-class folks think we’re as addicted and un-physical inside a classroom as we might think other people are in front of a computer screen. That said, I completely agree that one doesn’t want to atrophy while staring at a game on a television screen, and I hope we don’t raise a generation of social misfits–though to tell you the truth, so much of computing is almost purely social that I don’t think we’re in too much danger of the latter, even if we get addicted to older technologies like books.

19 03 2008
Anika (13:16:35) :

yeah the real world is becoming more subjective and more tailored everyday as globalization increases yet people stay inside more and connect superficially over the internet or interacting with identities through video games. very strange phenomenon. there seems to be a blur from the REAL WORLD and people’s own individual realities. but i agree that we are social creatures and this loss of face to face interaction is harmful

19 03 2008
gettodachoppa (18:03:50) :

I think we need to be careful when we assume that online interactions are in some way inherently inferior or more superficial than actual human to human contact. I think there are some definite benefits to online socialization. First of all the general anonymity provided by the internet can help some people open up about ideas and opinions they might otherwise be afraid to voice (of course there is an obvious downside to this as well.)

19 03 2008
gettodachoppa (18:04:59) :

I think we need to be careful when we assume that online interactions are in some way inherently inferior or more superficial than actual human to human contact. I think there are some definite benefits to online socialization. First of all the general anonymity provided by the internet can help some people open up about ideas and opinions they might otherwise be afraid to voice (of course there is an obvious downside to this as well.) I think we see this in class as well when some people post smart comments but for whatever reason aren’t comfortable speaking in a larger group setting.

19 03 2008
etimberlake (20:33:18) :

I agree with a lot of the things you’re saying about computers and video games not being adequate sources of exercise and/or social interaction. However, there are ways in which computers have allowed people to communicate more frequently, more effectively, and even at all. I know that for me personally, I have kept in touch with a lot of people through Facebook that I would probably never have had contact with again otherwise. People from my deep past, random acquaintances, etc…while I don’t think that computers should in any way replace face-to-face interaction and real life socialization, there is something to be said for the ease of keeping in touch with people through the internet.

19 03 2008
sonic911 (21:04:56) :

I love videogames and am proud of it, but that doesn’t mean that’s all I do. Videogame players always get a bad rep because we are stereotyped as fat, lazy, and stupid, when in fact, we are a proud community who actively engage with our medium, which is more than you can say about the film community that decay in front of their passive medium…see, that’s another stereotype that’s probably not true. It’s great that you get pleasure from the outdoors, as do I, virtual worlds are a breath of fresh air sometimes. That statement may seem like I want to escape reality, but like everything else in life, if you do it in moderation, then you’re bound to get pleasure from the best of both worlds.