kimon? where?

31 03 2008

To me this story drew back the argument/discussion our class was having on the Illich article. For people to go to Kimon they must have extensive tests done and pass an IQ test. I found it interesting that there was a quote which said that the government obviously was interested of the evolution of thought. If this is true then why does it seem that this is not the case now a day, but in the story it is because there is a place so exclusive that people strive to get there? Why can’t people strive to “think outside the box” in general? Going back to Illich, yes schooling has become somewhat political but teachers and society need to try to persuade people to want to expand their minds. The concept of censorship on Kimon and how they could control with telepathy what they wanted you to know or hear makes me cringe. Imagine if the government or whatever overruling power could have control with their minds what a persona can or cannot be exposed to. Scary! While reading this story I kept trying to connect it to various articles we have read and new media in general to keep my mind from wandering too much. Like someone posted earlier, it has many levels

and many different directions it can go in. so is the purpose of Kimon to create a “higher-level” society rather than measly Earth minded people? Not really sure the purpose of that would be I feel like everyone would be trying to over think each other and therefore create chaos…maybe that’s just me.

Actions

Informations

3 responses to “kimon? where?”

31 03 2008
» kimon? where? Intro to New Media Studies, Spring 2008 (22:44:04) :

[…] Original post by sfinn2id […]

1 04 2008
gettodachoppa (06:36:38) :

I would argue that the reason teachers don’t teach more kids to think outside of the box is because they can’t. They are the box. This might be one of the reasons the Kimonians are so secretive. Humanity has to reach new plateaus on its own because explaining why Kimonians do things the way they do won’t necessarily help humanity with its own individual sets of problems.

1 04 2008
Neo-Rev (12:41:38) :

I think the government is interested in the evolution of thought or maybe education in general. But I think the problem is they care mostly about it in a symbolic sense where degrees=intelligence, which can be a problem because just because people have a degree nowadays doesn’t mean that it means as much. In someways education has been devalued in that way.
In the story the people of Earth were struggling to get to that point where they would be good enough to go to Kimon and even those who made it don’t necessarily make it to the next stage. I think a comparison could be drawn there between that society in Immigrant and the current culture that struggles to get ahead, but in the end isn’t going after it in the right way.