games of the video

7 04 2008

This reading is similar to that of McLuhan’s addictiveness to television, but right away Turkle cialis online cheap makes the distinction that television is something you watch while video games are something you do. As everyone in the class seems http://iupatdc5.org to know I am an advocate for the outdoors. However, I do feel that video games are more involving and do require skill which watching television lacks.
The video games today are so detailed and involved it amazes me the amount of skill required to “operate” and play them. I agree with Turkle that there is a sense of addictiveness with video games, but it is definitely not mindless. With the invention of the Wii especially video games have gone onto a whole new level. I’m fond of the Wii because it involves some physical activity and more interaction than just your fingers and eyes. One of the tricky parts with video games is, like Turkle said, when one loses oneself in a simulated world. This can be dangerous when the player becomes more involved in the video game world than interacting with actual humans. Overall, I don’t think video games are evil, I think they should limited and children especially should be monitored with them.

Actions

Informations

3 responses to “games of the video”

7 04 2008
etimberlake (22:59:57) :

Sure, video games aren’t mindless- but are they healthy? I mean, if kids are playing video games all the time, is that really helping their brain function? Maybe so, maybe not…if it helps kids learn and gets them excited about learning then it’s a good thing but otherwise, what’s the point? I guess pure entertainment. People can definitely get carried away with this stuff though, I know a few people who have almost become recluses and cut off friendships because they’ve been so immersed in gaming. Pretty scary and sad stuff.

8 04 2008
Gwen (00:40:30) :

Yeah I definitely don’t think videogames are a good addition to a household- especially one with young children. I learned in LING 301 that electronics such as television and videogames are actually proven to decrease children’s attention spans. And I do think it hinders creativity. I forget if I have said this somewhere else, but kids get addicted to the quick changes of screens, and then they do face “withdrawal” like people have been saying, and find “real life” to be dull and slow, etc. I would just be afraid of having maladjusted kids who only wanted to sit on the couch and immerse themselves in a role. They need to develope their OWN personalities and skills, not become Sonic the Hedgehog…or whatever the kids are playing these days!

8 04 2008
Anika (13:21:37) :

just because something requires skill does not mean it is a good way to spend time and energy. im not saying that playing video games is time wasted, but i do think there are better ways to spend time, one of the most important being interacting with actual people. another one is being active. look at the way american’s are heading healthwise both socially and physically and look at it along the lines of the huge popularity of movies, video games and the like. everything in moderation does not include things detremental to our state as healthy, happy humans.